Download PDF


Audiologists & Speech Language Pathologists NOC 3141 may also be called:

  • amplification audiologist
  • certified audiologist
  • clinical / diagnostic audiologist
  • dispensing audiologist
  • industrial audiologist
  • pediatric audiologist
  • research audiologist
  • speech therapist
  • speech & hearing therapist
  • educational speech-language pathologist

What Would I Do?

Audiologists diagnose, evaluate and treat individuals with peripheral and central hearing loss, tinnitus and balance problems.

Speech-language pathologists diagnose, assess and treat human communication disorders including speech, fluency, language, voice and swallowing disorders.

Audiologists’ duties may include:

  • develop and administer audiometric tests and examinations using specialized instruments and electronic equipment to diagnose and evaluate the degree and type of patients’ hearing impairment
  • plan and implement rehabilitation programs for patients, including selection, fitting and adjustment of amplification devices, such as hearing aids, and teaching speech (lip) reading
  • provide information to patients and families regarding the nature, extent, impact and implications of hearing loss and treatment
  • establish personalized care plans working as a member of an interdisciplinary team

 Speech language pathologists’ duties may include:

  • administer tests and examinations and observe patients to diagnose and evaluate speech, voice, resonance, language, cognitive-linguistic and swallowing disorders
  • may use tools that range from books and toys, to linguistic analysis software, sophisticated sound analysers and electronic communication devices
  • develop, plan and implement remedial programs to correct speech, voice, language, resonance, cognitive-linguistic and swallowing disorders
  • establish group and personalized care plans working as a member of an interdisciplinary team
  • provide advice and educational services to patients and families regarding communication and swallowing disorders

More information:

Am I Suited For This Job?

Audiologists should be:

  • patient
  • sensitive and compassionate
  • tactful
  • detail-oriented
  • able to work well with your hands

Speech Language Pathologists should be:

  • patient
  • compassionate

They should have:

  • knowledge of other languages
  • an interest in language and psychology

Most audiologists and speech-language pathologists work in clean, well-lit and well-equipped offices. The majority work in hospitals, schools or community clinics. Other working environments include rehabilitation centres, colleges and universities, health departments, government agencies and research laboratories, and some choose to be in private practice and work in their own offices.

Some audiologists and speech-language pathologists provide home health care which requires extensive daily travel, especially in small communities. Full-time professionals generally work a 36-hour week, which may include working evenings and weekends to meet clients’ needs.

Sources: WorkBC Career Profile for Audiologists & Speech Language Pathologists,  Career Cruising database (Profiles for ‘Audiologist’ and ‘Speech language pathologist’)

What Are The Wages And Benefits?

WorkBC reports that the median annual salary for Audiologists & Speech Language Pathologists in British Columbia is approximately $81,338 with a $39.00 median hourly wage rate across the province.

JobBank Canada lists hourly wages for BC’s regions where audiologists & speech language pathologists can expect to make:

hourly wages by region
Table from Job Bank Canada Wage Report

Audiologists & speech language pathologists who are employed on a full-time basis often receive benefits such as dental coverage, paid vacation, sick leave and contributions to retirement plan contributions.  Self-employed audiologists & speech language pathologists must provide their own benefits.

Sources: WorkBC Career Profile for Audiologists & Speech Language Pathologists,  Career Cruising database (Profiles for ‘Audiologist’ and ‘Speech language pathologist’)

What Is The Job Outlook In BC?

Demand for audiologists & speech language pathologists is driven by a growing and ageing population, greater public health awareness, and new medical technologies and procedures.

Industry reports that audiologists and speech-language pathologists are needed throughout B.C.  There is increased demand in northern and remote areas and in particular, public health audiologists are in slightly higher demand in the interior and rural/remote areas of the province.

The range of techniques and services provided by audiologists and speech-language pathologists will continue to change due to new service demands. Life-saving procedures have a greater success rate than in the past, resulting in a higher occurrence of communicative disorders. In addition, increased concern over occupationally induced hearing disorders, and early detection of communication problems in children, has significantly expanded the public role of the audiologist and speech-language pathologist.employment outlook for audiologists & speech language pathologists

JobBank Canada reports that for the 2016-2018 period, the employment outlook is expected to be good for Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists (NOC 3141) in British Columbia.

Sources: WorkBC Career Profile for Audiologists & Speech Language Pathologists, Job Bank Canada, Employment Outlook

How Do I Become an Audiologist or Speech Language Pathologist?


Audiologists are required to have a master’s degree in science with a major in audiology; speech-language pathologists are required to have a master’s degree in science with a major in speech-language pathology.


Speech-Language and Audiology Canada (SAC), formerly known as the Canadian Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (CASLPA), provides ‘Clinical Certification’ of both audiologists and speech language pathologists. SAC Clinical Certification requires the appropriate Master’s degree from an accredited university and successful completion of the SAC clinical certification exam. Although certification is voluntary, it significantly assists in your application for licensing. For further information, see:


In B.C, both audiologists and speech language pathologists must be licensed through the College of Speech and Hearing Health Professionals of BC.  In B.C., audiologists are also required to obtain a separate license as Hearing Instrument Practitioners in order to dispense hearing aids. This license requires specialized training/education and successful completion of two exams administered by the College.  For further information, see:

Sources: WorkBC Career Profile for Audiologists & Speech Language Pathologists

How Do I Find A Job?

Where would I work?

Audiologists & Speech Language Pathologists work for:

  • hospitals, community and public health centres
  • extended care facilities
  • day clinics
  • rehabilitation centres
  • educational institutions

Finding Advertised Jobs

Jobs are advertised in a variety of sources including newspapers, magazines and online job sites.

Local Newspapers

You can look at the Vancouver Sun & The Province at Vancouver Public Library for free. Check the job postings daily, the careers section in the Vancouver Sun on Wednesdays and Saturdays and, in The Province on Sundays.

Job White Pages

  • Available online or in print at the Central Library
    NOTE: Access at VPL locations only

Online Job Postings

  • BC JobConnect **must have permanent resident number**
    newcomers can post their skills, education and work experience to BC employers looking for workers

Finding “Hidden Jobs”

Many job vacancies are not advertised. The resources below help you with finding jobs in this “hidden” job market.

Using Directories to Create a List of Potential Employers

You can use directories to produce lists of employers who are in this industry. Contact them directly to find out if they’re hiring.

  • Reference Canada
    Click on “Start Search” beside Canadian Businesses, then select the “Advanced Search” button.
    Select both “Keyword/SIC/NAICS” under Business Type and “City” under Geography.
    In the top search box enter “audiologists” and click LOOKUP.
    Select the appropriate headings.
    Lower down, select the Province, choose the cities, and click the “View Results” button.
    You can also enter “speech” and select headings including, “speech & hearing therapy” and/or “speech pathologists”
    NOTE: You can access this database from a Library computer. If you are using a computer from outside the Library, you will need a Vancouver Public Library card to login to this database. After clicking on the database name, you will be asked to enter your library card number and PIN (usually last four digits of your telephone number).

Networking, Volunteering and Temporary Agencies

Many positions are filled by people who have been recommended by someone they know. Networking, working as a volunteer or registering with a temporary employment agency are good ways of helping you find jobs and meet people in your industry.

Networking and the Hidden Job Market:

When looking for work, be sure to talk to friends, relatives and neighbours. They may know someone who is hiring! Working as a volunteer, attending events, and joining clubs and associations are good ways to gain “Canadian experience.” They are also good ways to meet people to learn about the local job market.

Volunteer opportunities

  • Asante Centre
    [centre provides services related to Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD), Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and other complex developmental needs
  • North Shore Stroke Recovery Centre
    [under the direction of the Speech Language Pathologist, volunteers work one-to-one with members who are receiving speech therapy and may assist in group sessions]
  • Sea to Sky Aphasia Camp
    [see: How can I get involved in the Sea-to-Sky Aphasia Camp? Can I volunteer for the camp?]

For additional tips see:

Applying for a Job

In Canada, employers usually expect to receive a resume and a cover letter that identifies the position you are applying for and summarizes your experience.  Use the library catalogue to find books on writing resumes and cover letters specific to your industry.

For more information see:

Where Can This Job Lead?

Recent graduates often obtain positions in public health clinics and non-profit child development agencies.  Audiologists and speech-language pathologists may specialize in a specific treatment area or age group. Some may also teach, consult or conduct research. Audiologists and speech-language pathologists can advance to supervisory, management or administrative positions with experience and training.

Where Can I Find More Information?